Wednesday 1 August 2012

Product Smackdown !! Gel Eyeliners. MAC V ELF

So we all love a really good eyeliner!! In my opinion, the liner can make or break a look. So I've decided to run a "Product Smack Down" series. Which just means I will be reviewing and swatching two similar products, one which will be a high end "splurge" product and one which will be a budget "save" product. And we'll see which product comes out on top!

So firstly I am going to be reviewing gel eyeliner. First up is our "Splurge" product which is Mac Blacktrack Fluidline.
MAC BLACKTRACK FLUIDLINE




Now I'll admit...I love this product. I seriously have gone through about 5 of these little pots of love!!




What MAC say:

Ultra-smooth, Fluidline's gel formula provides the precision of a liquid liner with a silkier, softer finish. Goes on  "foolproof" with a brush with an easy dip-and-stroke action. Long-wearing. Smudge proof. Lines up in a rich array of color and finishes.

What I say:

 I love this eyeliner, it comes in a little pot that contains 3g of product. The liner itself is very smooth and glides on easily. It does go on very dark but it can be built up to give a very intense black appearance. I find this great when used as a base when doing a smokey eye. Once it dries it will not smudge or flake and the best bit...it's 100% waterproof which means it can be used in the waterline and you don't have to worry about the dreaded panda eyes! 

Pros: 
  • Easy to apply
  • Very black
  •  Waterproof

Cons:
  •  Dries out VERY quickly. If you leave the cap off overnight it will dry up! 
  • Does not come with a brush.

Price :
 €17 (£14, $15)

Where to buy: 
Brown Thomas for us here in Ireland. Mac is more readily available for people in the UK and U.S as they can order from the website.


The "Save" product is ELF Cream Eyeliner.





What ELF says:

"The cream formula creates smooth lines that are defined and precise. Smudge-proof, budge-proof and water-resistant coverage for all day wear to combat against sweat, tears or rain! Achieve thin or bold lines with ease. Slanted Eyeliner Brush included."


What I say:

This is a really great liner and even better it is only €4 (£3, $3) So what you are getting for €4 is really a very good dupe for Mac Blacktrack!! As a bonus the ELF liner comes with a free slanted brush. This liner has good pigmentation and goes on smooth, it lasts well, typically giving 8 hours . What I will say is this liner is not AS dark as Mac Blacktrack, but it could be layered a couple of times to achieve a really dark line. Also The finish of the liners are quite different, I found the ELF Liner to be more of a matte with less shine...which depending on what you like could be a good thing or a bad thing! I liked the brush but I would prefer to use my Mac 266 brush as it gives a really precise line. 

Pros:
  • Great Value for money
  • Good colour pay off and smooth texture
  • Waterproof
  • Comes with a brush
  • 4.7g of product which is more than Mac
Cons: 

  • None! 
Price:
€4 (£3, $3)

Where to buy:
www.eyeslipsface.co.uk

How they compare...

Swatches...

Left is ELF Right is Mac

Overall: 

I think that these two products definitely compare very well to each other and the price difference is amazing. There is a whopping €13 price difference. ELF really puts it up to Mac on this product. I love both of them equally, I use my Mac Fluidline more because I love the intense black it gives on the waterline but if I ran out of Fluidline I wouldn't hesitate to use the ELF liner!

19 comments:

  1. I love this product, too! I am so on board with your review.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your amazing, its everything you need to know about the product on one convenient page, Thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review you create amazing eye looks!
    xo,
    http://missmelissafashionandbeautyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The MAC one looks a lot more intense than the ELF - shame because otherwise the ELF product sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the MAC one is more intense, but for the price the ELF one is definitely a steal!! xxx

      Delete
  5. I love the smackdown posts! I love doing them as well. I haven't tried either, but maybe I will. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always had a problem with the thickness of gel liners. Blah! I found that if I take my good ol' MAC pigment in Black Black and mix it with mixing medium until it has a paste-like consistency, it becomes really easy to work with using a small brush (like the MAC 210) and the color payoff is unsurpassed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea...I will def try this out sometime!! xox

      Delete
  7. I LOVE elf products! Great review and lovely blog! Now following :)

    farawayandoverseas.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am I the only person who isn't a fan of gel liners. Id prefer to use a liquid liner. I just find it so much quicker and easier than using a gel. I have trouble getting the line thin enough. Maybe I should invest in an even smaller brush than what I already own. I shall put this on my to do list ! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read your blog on daily basis. This is really great and informative post. Thanks for sharing. Elf Eyeliner Cream

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this blog with us. Really appreciate your efforts for writing this blog and updating us with new updates. Keep sharing more good stuff like this. Get information about Beauty & Cosmetic Online

    ReplyDelete